2017 Passel Estate Cabernet Sauvignon
2017 Cabernet Sauvignon
Margaret River, WA
Medium to full bodied with fine-grained tannin, velvety smooth with intense fruit flavours of red and blue berries.
- Region Margaret River
- Vintage 2017
- Type Red Wine
- Variety Cabernet Sauvignon
- Vintage Notes The 2017 vintage in Margaret River was supremely challenging yet ultimately rewarding. Spring was slow and cool, Summer was moderate with no heat spikes, and wet weather persisted throughout March, which led to much slower ripening and extended hang times. The season ended three weeks later than the average harvest time, significantly increasing the risks of disease in pockets of the region. The ‘Indian Summer’ at the end of the long season resulted for those that had held their nerve, in good tannin structure at much lower sugar levels compared with past vintages, and beautiful fruit perfumes.
- Vineyard Notes Our old-vine Houghton clone Cabernet Sauvignon is planted north-south, thus benefiting from even sunlight and warmth on either side of the canopy throughout the growing season. The vines are minimally irrigated, with special attention paid to achieving full solarisation and fruit exposure on each vine through rigorous canopy management and leaf removal. Each vine is then fine-tuned via the removal of excess and green bunches, resulting in perfectly uniform development of opulent tannin with intense fruit flavour and aromatics throughout the block.
- Winemaking The fruit is harvested, and berries crushed (just split). After a cool 14-day ferment on skins with multiple, yet gentle daily pump overs, the wine was gently separated from the skins and transferred straight to French Oak barriques, 35% of which were new. The wine was matured for 10 months in oak, before being lightly fined, filtered and bottled.
- Tasting Notes Ruby red in colour, with blue flecks. A bouquet of violets, mulberry, red cherries and lifted floral aromatics. Fine lines of pristine red fruit tannin introduce a savoury palate laced with textures of graphite, blue berries and subtle notes of cedar. Seamless and complete, the palate eases into a primal finish of darker fruits, elevated by finer afterthoughts of cherry pip and plum blossom.