2016 Passel Estate Cabernet Sauvignon
2016 Cabernet Sauvignon
Margaret River, WA
Medium to full bodied with fine-grained tannin, velvety smooth with intense fruit flavours of black and red berries.
- Region Margaret River
- Vintage 2016
- Type Red Wine
- Variety Cabernet Sauvignon
- Vintage Notes Margaret River experienced moderate to high rainfall throughout Winter, followed by a moderate Spring and even Summer temperatures with minimal rainfall, leading to healthy flowering and fruit set and a perfect ripening season for the 2016 Vintage. Another challenging year in terms of bird pressure, owing to a lack of marri blossom in surrounding bushland; which was kept under control with well-timed bird netting. Quality was high overall, with whites and reds displaying super-fine structure, impressive elegance and minerality. Crop yields were low, but the fruit performed beautifully, making this a vintage to be valued.
- Vineyard Notes Our old-vine Houghton clone Cabernet Sauvignon is planted north-south, thus benefiting from even sunlight and warmth on either side of the canopy throughout the growing season. The vines are minimally irrigated, with special attention paid to achieving full solarisation and fruit exposure on each vine through rigorous canopy management and leaf removal. Each vine is then fine-tuned via the removal of excess and green bunches, resulting in perfectly uniform development of opulent tannin with intense fruit flavour and aromatics throughout the block.
- Winemaking The fruit is harvested, and berries crushed (just split) and sent to fermenter. After a cool 14-day ferment on skins with multiple, yet gentle daily pump overs, the wine was gently separated from the skins and transferred straight to French Oak barriques, 35% of which were new. The wine was matured for 10 months in oak, before being lightly fined, filtered and bottled.
- Tasting Notes Garnet coloured with bright red flecks. An aromatic bouquet of black fruits, liquorice, glazed cherries and violets. A dense entry on the palate of black fruits, graphite and mulberries, brought into line by fine tendrils of bristling blue fruit tannin and soft natural acidity. Flavours of red fruits, cacao nib and cherry blossom dot an elegant and persistent finish of velvet and granite.